In anticipation of National Marriage Week 2019 (February 7-14), and World Marriage Day (February 10), St Michael’s Abbey launches its own preparatory Novena for a Happy and Faithful Marriage, in collaboration with the St Josemaria Institute.
St Josemaria Escriva (1902-1975), priest and founder of Opus Dei, believed that “those who are called to the married state will, with the grace of God, find within their state everything they need to be holy, to identify themselves each day more with Jesus Christ, and to lead those with whom they live to God.”
The Novena for a Happy and Faithful Marriage is inspired by St Josemaria’s desire to help all married couples, and those preparing for marriage, to find meaning and encouragement in their vocation through a commitment to daily prayer and friendship with God, especially when facing inevitable difficulties and times of trial.
The novena reflections are all taken from the homily by St Josemaria Escriva, “Marriage: A Christian Vocation”, published in the book Christ is Passing By (Scepter Publishers, 1974).
What is a novena?
Who should pray this novena?
How to pray this novena:
- Choose a date and time (e.g. end of day, after dinner) to start the novena
- Read the reflection of the day slowly in front of a crucifix or image of the Holy Family
- Meditate on the reading and ask God to let you see what you need to understand
- Pray one of the two prayers indicated for the day (for the married or engaged)
- End with the Prayer for the Family and ask God for your specific request(s)
Enjoy critically acclaimed documentary series, video lectures, and more from the Norbertine Fathers, on-demand in the Abbot’s Circle video library.
Immerse yourself in a collection of chants, reflections, audio lectures, and more from the Norbertine Fathers, on-demand in the Abbot’s Circle audio library.
Enjoy a vast collection of thought-provoking written reflections from the Norbertine Fathers in the Abbot's Circle written library.