“A priest is not a priest for himself. He is a priest for you.”
– St. John Vianney
At St. Michael’s Abbey, we have a vocations crisis of a different kind: There are more men seeking to become seminarians than we have room to house, feed, and educate. More than 35 men are currently in formation, a journey in religious life towards the priesthood that lasts nine to eleven years with prayer, education, and apostolic work, and culminates with ordination. Norbertines’ fidelity to common living holds each man accountable for his actions and requires his efforts to support community needs, a tradition established more than 900 years ago.
The Norbertines in formation at St. Michael’s Abbey are your future priests who will serve you and others in times of consolation and desolation. Their well-honed formation supports individuals, families, and communities through the Sacrifice of the Holy Mass and singing the Liturgy of the Hours, as well catechesis, sacramental preparation, and prayer.
At the heart of St. Michael’s community is a life of common prayer through which they worship the Lord, pray for others, and receive the grace necessary to carry out various apostolates. Their ministries include:
- Chaplaincies for several county prisons, nursing homes, local and national associations, and a Catholic hospital
- Educating children, adults, and the disabled as teachers, chaplains, rectors, and administrators
- Religious formation as faculty in one novitiate and as chaplains, confessors, and instructors serving communities for consecrated women
- Maintaining an overnight summer camp for boys ages 6-15
- Offering Holy Mass at two dozen parishes each week
If you are not already a member we invite you to walk with us on this journey as a member of the Abbot’s Circle.
Check back frequently for new writings, videos, and audio.
Enjoy critically acclaimed documentary series, video lectures, and more from the Norbertine Fathers, on-demand in the Abbot’s Circle video library.
Immerse yourself in a collection of chants, reflections, audio lectures, and more from the Norbertine Fathers, on-demand in the Abbot’s Circle audio library.
Enjoy a vast collection of thought-provoking written reflections from the Norbertine Fathers in the Abbot's Circle written library.